Reporting: The Chairman
Salary : in USD Taxfree + Accommodation and Transport
Contract : 2 yrs renewable
The chief operating officer (COO) will oversee the design, enhancement, implementation, reporting, and oversight of BANK’s financials, operations, human resources and compliance. Reporting to the Managing Director and working as a key member of the BANK’s Management team, the COO will take a leadership role in building, implementing, and overseeing all of the Bank’s systems, processes, workflows, and procedures. The COO will also pay a critical role in helping to shape and guide the future growth and development of the BANK. The COO will develop, refine and implement Operations strategy including aspects such as area selection, product design and delivery, portfolio quality management, client outreach and communications. S/he will be responsible for the management of the overall quality and efficiency of operations. S/he will ensure that the company delivers an outstanding service that is client focused and efficient at all times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Achieve Business Performance
- Be accountable for the aggregate plan and delivery of systems, operations, properties & maintenance and the general operating model of the BANK.
- Leverage the advantages of bringing together the operational expertise and drive through more efficient ways of working.
- Ensure strategic objectives shaped at Executive Management level are translated into tactical business plans with mechanisms for key measurements in place to monitor progress.
- Ensure that business change projects are delivered in line with directions from Executive Management level.
- Coordinate the efforts of the different operational areas under management to ensure minimal duplication of efforts, maximum efficiency and to maximize value for money.
- Re-balance resources between different areas e.g. reallocating budgets, but within overall approved resources for the year.
- Contribute to the development of business unit strategy for the next 2-3 years by providing a view on potential improvements for products or services and an assessment of the existing situation and anticipated changes in the external environment.
- Manage departmental budgets including signing off of invoices and quotes within mandate. Escalate out of budgets items to the Managing Director for approval.
- Sign off capital expenditure within budget. This includes approving purchase or sell decisions for desktop computers, laptops, departmental equipment etc.
- Analyse effectiveness of processes and systems in use in general for Bank and recommend corrective action or automation.
- Review performance against balanced scorecard components as prescribed by the Executive Management, discuss gaps and agree on action plans to close gaps.
- Benchmark productivity of the department against industry standards and create measures to improve productivity.
Driving Business Direction
- To be an integral part and driver of the strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting of business requirements and decision making process.
- Build strong relationships with key external stakeholders, government, suppliers, etc. to ensure correct focus and direction for the bank at operations and technology level.
- Ensure an effective and efficient operating model is maintained.
- Develop and facilitate planning across the COO environment.
- Accountable for driving the business model under the COO environment
- Serve on external committees where applicable
- Ensure that risk is effectively addressed in all aspects of the business under the COO
- Ensure that a proper infrastructure (building, systems and staff complement) is maintained and developed for the bank.
- Accountable for planning and opening of new branches (outlets) in terms of expansion of the business and business plans.
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders and peers on Executive Management to ensure the correct focus
- Provide clear directions on strategic goals, translating and prioritizing them into business and performance measures.
- Lead, inspire and coach a team of high calibre professionals, creating succession to key roles and enhancing Bank management capability.
- Monitor the strict adherence to governance and setting high standards of professionalism across the functions
- Ensure that managers create effective workforce plans and recruitment demands plans for their areas.
- Review Performance Improvement reports to determine effectiveness of interventions.
- Ensure participation by staff on Climate or staff satisfaction surveys and that action items together with the management team of the business units are finalized and executed.
Any other work allocated by competent authority from time to time.
- Has leadership and management abilities to oversee the BANK
- Possesses a passion to help team members and clients
- Able to see the big picture and plan out details
- Direct communications
- Detail-oriented, Goal-oriented, task driven
- Strong process and planning orientation
- Enjoys being part of the team
- Designs efficient systems, seeks productivity
- Balances team’s needs with goals of practice
- Ability to delegate to the right team members
Educational and Experience Requirements and Preferences
- A minimum of 15 years of business management experience across a range of business disciplines
- Should have a Post Graduate degree or MBA from any recognized University/Institute and possesses requisite experience in HR frameworks, financial management, marketing and operations
- Financial reporting capabilities including budgeting and cash flow management
- Strong general IT infrastructure knowledge
- Strong human capital management knowledge
- Building financial advice related compliance knowledge
- Financial planning industry knowledge